Monday, December 27, 2010

The magic of parentood (and Christmas)

Well, all the craziness of Christmas is over and now it's that week between Christmas and New Year's when there is nothing new on TV, some people (like my husband) are back to work while other bask in the afterglow of the holidays for a few extra days, and we count down the last days of the year.

We had a wonderful Christmas. Sofia may not have had a clue what was going on, but I like to think she enjoyed it. When I brought her downstairs on Christmas morning her eyes widened when she saw all the gifts under the tree, and she sat contently among all the wrapping paper as we helped her open each gift and oohed and ahhhed over all the adorable clothes and fun toys. She even stared excited at the computer and smiled when my family called her name as they watched her play through the wonders of Skype. She even tolerated wearing a Santa hat through the entire ordeal. Needless to say, I got some pretty priceless photos from her first Christmas.

This was the first year in a looong time that I didn't feel any sort of emptiness after all the gifts were opened, turkey was devoured and the silence that followed settled upon us. Instead I felt simply content and happy. There were no big gifts for me under the tree; no iPad or Blackberry (although I am in the process of trying to talk Michael into letting me get a "Crackberry" in the new year). I could have cared less about gifts for myself this year. I just enjoyed seeing Sofia play with her new activity center and one of her three play phones (seriously people, she's going to want her own "Crackberry" before she's 1). And we spent a good portion of the day on Skype with my family (even though Christmas dinner) so it was like we were actually together. 

Now, I'm kind of feeling a little glum being home alone again, but I'm looking forward to 2011 and all that it has in store. I know it will be a fantastic year filled with new experiences and so much fun. Having a child makes you look at the world, and your life, completely differently. It's an amazing feeling and one i wouldn't trade for all the "Crackberries" in the world.



Happy Holidays from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment