Thursday, December 23, 2010

Teething and Christmas do not mix

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve? Really? This is the time when I'm usually in panic mode, rushing to finish my shopping and wrap presents and clean the house from top to bottom. This year, all I had to do was clean the house. Although, between a teething 8 month old and all the chores that have to be done, it wasn't all that easy as I'd hoped.

Here's what I've discovered: TEETHING SUCKS! Ok, that's not really news to most people, but to me it is. I hate that you don't really ever KNOW if teething is causing your baby discomfort or if it's her cold that causes her to not be able to breathe and be up half the night coughing, or hunger or thirst or a poopy diaper. Today, though the process of elimination revealed that the only possibility is teething. She's super cranky, wouldn't stop crying and go to sleep even though she was exhausted and couldn't keep her eyes open and the only thing that calms her down is an ice cube in a mesh feeder. Unfortunately, ice melts, so it's only a temporarily relief to the screaming. Ugh.

I just wish the damn tooth would break through already. And this is just the first one. Oh dear.

And tomorrow is Christmas Eve, when we are going to get all dressed up and take family photos and have supper with Nana and Poppy and go to church. Oh please please please don't let her be crying all day! I know it's silly to have this picture in my head of what Sofia's first Christmas will be like, because I am smart enough to know that babies are unpredictable, especially when they are too young to give a rat's ass about Christmas. But I am allowed to want her to be happy at least, and not in pain (well, I wish for that every day), so that those "First Christmas" pictures show her smiling and glowing in the lights of the Christmas tree. Yeah, we'll see about that.

Merry Christmas to my fellow bloggers and moms! I hope you all have happy babies this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment