Thursday, November 4, 2010

Birthday Blahs

Yesterday was my birthday. I turned 29. I have decided that it will be the last birthday I celebrate. I mean it. No 30 for me!

Ok seriously, birthdays are not that bad. At least, the getting older part isn't that bad. I still dislike my birthday because it comes with so many expectations. I always want to have a great day that's different from every other day, but it never really is. I am pretty lucky, I have awesome friends who celebrate with me every year (this year new friends too!) and a husband who goes out of his way to make me feel special. Yet, I am always just a little disappointed, even though I really shouldn't be. I would rather plan other people's birthday, and believe me I am super excited about Sofia's birthday. I've already started thinking about it (Smash Cake anyone?! So much fun!!)

I'm not really sure what it is I want. I usually get what I ask for, if I ask for anything, and I've always gotten to do something special. Last year Michael took me to a Jann Arden concert in the city, this year my friends threw me a great party, complete with helium balloons and a Blizzard cake from Dairy Queen. And the cutest thing ever, Michael got Sofia to "write" her name on my birthday card.

Maybe I am greedy or selfish, but maybe it's ok, at least for one day, to want everything to be perfect. Even if I am disappointed for whatever reason, when I look back a few days, months or years later, I don't remember that. I always just remember being surrounded by people who love me. And that I got like 100 messages on my Facebook wall. Now THAT'S being loved ;)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday! It's a very special one, seeing as it's the LAST birthday for you!

    Every year, I celebrate the ANNIVERSARY of my 27th birthday. Has worked out well...until recently I had to tell someone how old I am for real, and I was SHOCKED by the number! I never saw it coming!

    ReplyDelete